Fluent in 3 languages herself, Dr. Al-Saraj is familiar with the struggles people encounter while learning a new language. Based on her personal experiences, she has created the SPEAK method to ease the process and make it enjoyable.
- S – Select a language that interests you.
- P – Prep yourself on how the language works and how the people interact with each other by watching them on TV and in movies.
- E – Expect and embrace that you may feel or look silly along the way – it’s OK!
- A – Apply the words whenever you can and engage with others who speak the language
- K – Keep going and don’t get discouraged!
Dr. Taghreed Al-Saraj is the first Saudi woman to be a Post-Doctorate Research Fellow at the University of California, Berkeley. She earned her Ph.D. from the University of London and her Masters and Bachelor’s degrees from the University of Miami. She is a leadership coach who has helped hundreds of people overcome language anxiety.
Dr. Taghreed Al-Saraj has put her experience and expertise to paper in her book, The Anxious Language Learner: A Saudi Woman’s Story which explores her experiencing foreign language anxiety and gives a new perspective and insight for those experiencing foreign language anxiety.